Thursday 8 October 2020

What a Chronic Condition Has Taught Me About Anxious Dogs

I talk a lot on this blog about Finn and my much missed old boy Red - they are the reason the blog started, after all - but I rarely talk much about me. The dogs are far more interesting and much more photogenic. 😂 For a change today I am going to talk a little about me in relation to something dog related, so it's still relevant!

The history: in 2002 I had an accident riding my horse, and was thrown over his head when he tripped and then reared. I hit the ground hard on my shoulder and my body slammed down hard enough to bounce and hit on the other side. I did my very best attempt at shuffling off this mortal coil and was rushed under full blues and twos to hospital. The only thing I don't remember is that ambulance ride - the next thing I'm aware of is being wheeled into the hospital. There's a blur of people - pretty much every type of consultant was there but left as their specialty was ruled out - but I remember the loveliest nurse with a beautiful accent I couldn't identify who was next to me the entire time.

They still didn't know what the problem was when I started having problems breathing so emergency surgery it was, discovering a ruptured liver and a massive amount of my total blood volume sloshing about loose in there. Much more and it would have been fatal. Massive surgery, huge wound and the other injuries that came to light in the next few days and weeks - broken ribs and an impinged shoulder - meant a long recovery. I didn't return to work for 3 months and then it was a phased return. The x-ray of my spine shows an interesting slight zigzag down its length.

I have been left with chronic pain. A good day rates at 2 or 3 out of 10. I have surgical adhesions - made worse by the loss of my gall bladder a few years ago - and major digestive issues. The joints on the side I landed on are mostly afflicted by varying stages of problems and arthritic changes. The joints on the other side are starting to really show some issues from compensating. And - the biggest 'gift' of all from my accident - fibromyalgia. I tried to deny the diagnosis from the doctor for years, going through surgery, physiotherapy and a hideous amount of painkillers and anti-inflammatories. I tried to find other solutions but the NHS confirmed that what they had done for me was all they could do - I could have the surgery again that only worked for 9 months, or the physio that didn't change anything. I go to a chiropractor who can keep me moving a little more smoothly with a variety of different techniques (honestly, without him I lock up solid and am in agony). Around 18 months ago, I finally broke and talked to my GP about the situation, and he confirmed his thoughts. He pointed me in the direction of mindfulness, which helps somewhat. He is also poised ready to prescribe medicine that is thought to help - antidepressants - which I have been trying to avoid. I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case, however. I have the chronic pain, insomnia, the world's most complicated digestive system, and the really weird symptom of an over-developed sense of smell. I cannot be in the same room as someone eating mints. There are many forms of alcohol I cannot tolerate the smell of. I can tell what my husband is drinking the moment I step in the front door. Citrus fruits have to be peeled in a different room, although he can eat them in the same room as me when that is done. It's weird and it affects life constantly.

Looking less anxious, more goofy and demanding fuss 😍

Here's where we come to the point that this starts being relevant to anxious dogs and those that have not had the chance to recover from scary experiences. My chronic condition means that I have much less capacity to cope with extra stuff. My stress levels can rise like flipping a switch. I can tell a flare is coming sometimes because the tiniest thing has me feeling upset or angry, out of all proportion to the size of the issue. I KNOW how I'm feeling isn't right or reasonable, but I can't help it. An anxious or aroused dog does not have the advantage of reasoned thought that I do.

This is why it falls to us, the humans around these dogs, to learn as much as we can about how to help them. We need to learn what worries them, how to tell when they are scared, when they need us to get them out of a situation and when they need us to keep them safe at home for a few days to let them decompress and recover. They need us to be their advocates, to speak for them, to protect them. They need us to learn how to help them, or to realise that we need professional help to help us help them. They need us to make sure we are using the kind and positive techniques that will not scare or hurt them further. They need us to spread the message that reactive behaviours are not the sign of a 'nasty' or 'bad' dog, but are a dog telling the world that they can't cope, that they need help.

Links to courses that can help (from Canine Principles, as usual, because I love their style and ethics, and have experienced all of these courses:

Inspiring Resilience in Fearful and Reactive Dogs

Understanding Reactive Dogs (this is a video workshop created by yours truly)

Easy Walks With Your Reactive Dog

Canine Fear

Canine Anxiety

Canine Reactive Behaviour

* * * * * 

In other news, I'm currently working on the final thesis for my level 5 Canine Behaviour Professional diploma from CP. I never dreamed, in those days standing in the middle of a muddy field in tears holding the lead while my dog barked and lunged and I had no clue what to do, that my canine studies would come so far, or that I would write books. My much loved 'Fight or Fright?' still keeps trickling out into the world which makes me so happy, knowing that I can help others navigate their way through those first scary times of realising they don't have a 'normal' dog. And the step into the world of impostor syndrome, 'Conquering Confidence' is also there to help the canine professional (or anyone - the mechanics of IS and the techniques described work in all walks of life) to combat this insidious thief of self-confidence.

If you feel that what I write has helped you, I have a Ko-fi where you can buy me a coffee if you'd like to show some appreciation. 😊 And a Patreon account, where becoming a patron will gain access to exclusive videos and articles - there is a video up there on the concept of trigger stacking already.

No comments:

Post a Comment